Menstruation Natural Remedies - Natures Way to Painless Periods

I have always found it interesting that women have such diverse reactions to their periods. When I was a teenager, I started my period very late, around seventeen, and by that time had already shared in the agony with friends of mine who started much earlier than I did. Menstruation natural remedies were not considered at that time, and it was pretty much over the counter medicines that were being used for help for painful periods.

About 2 years ago I began to get uncomfortable periods. Cramping, bloating, back aches, headaches and some months I would feel like a heavy bar was sitting across my forehead and heavy bricks were sitting on my eye lids. Some months I would be fine and didn't even experience PMS, while other months I would experience the above symptoms and although I was able to still carry on with my normal tasks, I was finding it extremely stressful wondering if it was going to be a painful month or not. Thus, I began my quest to find out why I was pain free some months and not others, how to get the discomfort under control, and what menstruation natural remedies work when it was a painful month.

It is very important to understand that no one remedy is going to work for everyone. The reasons behind bad cramping and bloating has a lot to do with each individual woman's body and what she puts her body through. I strongly suggest you try each of these menstruation natural remedies and others you find for at least 2 months to see their advantages. If there is no change then move on to another remedy. If you are over weight, do not get regular exercise, and have a poor diet, then it is a good idea to rectify this first, as a poor diet and extra weight have a lot to do with how a woman's body handles her menstrual cycle and how her menstrual cycle affects her body. It is also important to note that discomfort to a degree does come along with menstruation so don't expect to find a complete cure all.

After much research and tried remedies by myself and a group of 20 friends of mine, these were the ones that came out being the most effective. A plus point to these remedies is that they also offer other healthy advantages to the body.

1. Magnesium

Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and is one of the vitamins we should have regularly in our diet. However studies show that most Americans have low magnesium levels. Magnesium is also helpful for stress relief. So how does it effect menstrual cramping?
  • Because cramps are caused by excessively strong contractions of the uterus Magnesium helps these muscles to relax, reducing cramping. 
  • Magnesium can also help relieve PMS symptoms such as headaches and back aches.
  • Menstrual fatigue is another symptom that Magnesium can combat.
  • Magnesium also helps combat PMS symptoms such as constipation, water retention, breast tenderness, bloating, mood swings, depression, anxiety and irritability.
The best dietary sources of Magnesium are:

-whole grains
-almonds, peanuts, cashews, and pumpkin seeds
-spinach, kale, and swiss chard
-beans such as black beans, pinto beans, chick peas
-sea vegetables such as kelp
-herbs such as basil, Cilantro, dill, parsley
-bananas
-halibut

If you do not already, introduce some or all of these foods into your diet and see if this becomes one of your natural remedies for menstruation ease.

2.  Ginger

Pound a piece of ginger releasing some juice then boil it in a cup of water for 2 minutes. Add a small bit of honey.  Take this concoction three times a day after meals throughout the time you are menstruating.

3. Ayurveda Approach - Aloe Vera

This approach requires you to take a mixture everyday one week before your period. Continue taking throughout your menstruation time if necessary.

1 tablespoon pure Aloe Vera gel with a pinch of black pepper.

4. Heat (hot baths, heating pad, jacuzzi) is a good for mild pain or discomfort.

5. Lower Back Pressure.

Pressure to areas on the lower back can give surprisingly good results. Have someone apply pressure to points on your lower back while you lay down and relax. Acupressure is a more professional route. 15 out of 20 friends found this approach very helpful but does take time out of a busy schedule and costs more than trying the above remedies.

6. Exercise

Go figure that exercise has come first in the running for natural remedies for menstruation, offering help with painful periods. Exercise releases endorphins into the blood stream which can help reduce pain and discomfort due to menstruation. Regular exercise has a huge effect on many women when it comes to reducing painful periods. Exercising regularly can substantially decrease painful periods.

7. Stay away from high salty foods and extra added salt on foods 72 hours prior to Menstruation.

8. Heighten your fiber consumption 72 hours prior to starting your period. This will give your bowels extra help to keep moving and will help avoid constipation.

I am not overweight nor have I ever been however my intake of fruits and vegetables was not regular and exercise was not in my vocabulary at all. Introduction of regular exercise, the consumption of fruits and vegetables and magnesium in my diet were the menstruation natural remedies that helped me the most. I now have mild discomfort the first day of my period but no more after that. Give each of these remedies a try and remember to use them for at least 2 months in order to properly evaluate their success with help for painful periods.

Related Links

Reasons and cures for heavy menses bleeding

For weight loss and obtaining a healthy eating regime

10 comments:

  1. great and very useful information thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by eating small, light meals once the period starts, you can almost test what effect the particular food is going to have on your intestines/cramps before you eat too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take in food rich in Vitamin E and use hot compress when experiencing dysmenorrhea to help in the circulation process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many girls suffered pms. I have a sister who suffered every period. I pity her. I can recommend your blog to her. Thanks for this

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Nitin from Toronto. I am interested in your writing. Some of your posting are good, I can say, best. Can you please tell me how to subscribe to your blog post online?

    ReplyDelete
  6. While exercising our bodies release mood-bolstering b-endorphins to assist in steadying mood vacillations & soothing sore feelings that arise from cramping & headache.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is the useful content which helps to control the Menstrual Stomach Ache which is the common problem now-a-days, These are reliable to have them in curing. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails